Sunday, November 22, 2009

Preliminary Results

We did it!  Here are our preliminary results, from the JFK 50 web page:

Krista Shaffer - 10:23:10
Ray Rogers - 9:53:44

What to write?  The thing that comes first to mind is that the support of my family, Ray, Ray's family, and our friends kept me going.  I can't say enough about that.  Mile  27 and 38 were the best, most wonderful miles I have ever run.  I felt like I was in heaven.  I feel truly blessed and loved.

The next thing that I have to write is that Ray had a beautiful little box in the bottom corner of his bag, and  unbeknownst to me he had been waiting for the "right" time all weekend.  Last night after the race, when we were kind of getting back to feeling like ourselves - at least as much as we were going to that night - Ray unpacked the bottle of champaigne he had brought to celebrate our victory.  And then he took out the box, and inside was a beautiful diamond ring.  It gave what had already been a perfect day a new sparkle, and cast everything in a new light.

More to come.